It doesn't make sense that this, of all seasons of my life, would be the one in which I am knowing the greateast joy, but it's true. And I want to share it. So I'm starting this blog to let you in on what I'm learning: There is real peace to be found in the greatest of trials, and real hope despite seemingly insurmountable obstacles. It is possible to love and to live more deeply than you have before, and to experience joy in the unlikeliest of times - when it seems, like wildflowers peeking up from January snow - completely out of season.

-Elizabeth

















Friday, June 10, 2011

Comets and Other Such Wonders

Our genetics microarray is normal!  Dr. Carpenter’s nurse, Angie called me just a few hours ago to give me this incredible news.  This is one more answered prayer, one more hurdle crossed to get to a finish line that includes a healthy baby.  I asked Angie, “Have you ever seen a baby with the problems ours has come out OK?”  She said no.  She has seen a few babies with a resolved cystic hygroma that have come out OK, but never one who had hydrops like ours.    Our geneticics counselor, Sandra has seen it happen twice; Angie has never seen it.  I’m smiling now, not despairing.  I feel a little like I have felt getting up late at night to see a rare astronomical event.  I feel like we are about to witness God doing something spectacular, and I'm giddy with anticipation and excitement. 
When I’ve stayed up to watch an eclipse or a comet, it has always been with friends or family.  We’ve wanted to marvel together.  We’ve prepared in advance, choosing the perfect, unobstructed viewing spot.  Then, we’ve huddled together and kept our eyes fixed on the sky.  Right now, I’m lying on a blanket in an open field, and I’m definitely not alone.  I’ve no idea what this is going to look like, but I’m ready.  Are you watching? 

No comments:

Post a Comment