It doesn't make sense that this, of all seasons of my life, would be the one in which I am knowing the greateast joy, but it's true. And I want to share it. So I'm starting this blog to let you in on what I'm learning: There is real peace to be found in the greatest of trials, and real hope despite seemingly insurmountable obstacles. It is possible to love and to live more deeply than you have before, and to experience joy in the unlikeliest of times - when it seems, like wildflowers peeking up from January snow - completely out of season.

-Elizabeth

















Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Lord Has Done Great Things

Yesterday was one of the best days I’ve had in a long, long time. First, we went to see Dr. Faro and had an ultrasound with Cynthia, the fabulous sonographer I’ve mentioned. No new prayer requests for Baby Girl Arredondo! This, in itself, is an answer to prayer. Please, please keep praying for her. While we were at Dr. Faro’s office, Dr. Faro’s uncle, Dr. Sebastian Faro happened to come by. He is one of my very favorite people in the entire world. He and his niece (my current OB) delivered Avery. Dr. Sebastian was not delivering babies in his practice anymore when we got pregnant with Avery, but had been my OBGYN for a long time and made an exception. I got some serious superstar treatment throughout my pregnancy. Do you know he even held me and let me put my head on his shoulder while they put in my epidural? About a week after he delivered Avery, he announced he was retiring from private practice. I am so honored she was the last baby he delivered.


After we got home from the Dr., we got dressed to go to the pool, but were caught by the phone as we were going out the door. It was our real estate agent, Renee, telling us that we had a contract coming in tonight on our house! Actually, what she said was, “You should leave your underwear hanging in the laundry room more often. It brings you luck.” I called her Sunday after the house was shown to tell her how mortified I was to realize in what state I had left the laundry room. We’ve had the house on the market well over a month. It’s no surprise that I posted on Facebook Sunday asking for prayer for the house to sell and the contract came in the next day.

Finally, to make a historically awesome day even better, while we were waiting for the agent to come over with our contract, Avery took her first steps. I’m so thankful that Mario and I were both here to witness it. What a moment! We caught the second steps on video:


All the joys of today and all of the people who were part of them are blessings from God. Thank you, dear Father, that this, as unlikely as it seems, is a season of joy.

Our mouths were filled with laughter,

our tongues with songs of joy.

Then it was said among the nations,

“The LORD has done great things for them.”

3 The LORD has done great things for us,

and we are filled with joy. - Psalm 126:2,3

No comments:

Post a Comment