It doesn't make sense that this, of all seasons of my life, would be the one in which I am knowing the greateast joy, but it's true. And I want to share it. So I'm starting this blog to let you in on what I'm learning: There is real peace to be found in the greatest of trials, and real hope despite seemingly insurmountable obstacles. It is possible to love and to live more deeply than you have before, and to experience joy in the unlikeliest of times - when it seems, like wildflowers peeking up from January snow - completely out of season.

-Elizabeth

















Friday, June 3, 2011

CVS

Our dear sitter graciously took Avery early the next morning so that Mario could take me to the hospital for the CVS.  We waited several hours for the procedure.  The waiting was not nearly as difficult as I would have expected it to be, with the exception of having to have a full bladder the whole time.  The actual needle insertion was unpleasant, but I have total faith in my high risk OB, so I knew the baby would be safe.  He is arguably one of the most talented, bright, experienced maternal-fetal medicine docs in the country.  After the procedure, he showed us the computer-generated, estimated odds of the baby having various chromosomal abnormalities based on the NT scan results.  They were disheartening.  The best one was 1 in 32.  I think that one was for Trisomy 16.  Trisomy 13 and 18 were in the single digits.  45,X was 1 in 2. Knowing my propensity to obsess over data, I left the sheet of paper there.   Mario took me home again and then headed to work.  I spent the next few hours Googling too much and composing an email to friends and family who knew we were pregnant.  After I’d absorbed all the information I could emotionally and intellectually tolerate, I picked up Avery from the sitter and we went across the street to play.  I’m so, so blessed to have one of my dearest friends so close by.  This sweet sister didn’t try to offer any trite reassurances.  Instead, she cried with me while our babies played and giggled in the background.  Those shared tears and those happy babies were such healing balms to my soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment