It doesn't make sense that this, of all seasons of my life, would be the one in which I am knowing the greateast joy, but it's true. And I want to share it. So I'm starting this blog to let you in on what I'm learning: There is real peace to be found in the greatest of trials, and real hope despite seemingly insurmountable obstacles. It is possible to love and to live more deeply than you have before, and to experience joy in the unlikeliest of times - when it seems, like wildflowers peeking up from January snow - completely out of season.

-Elizabeth

















Saturday, June 4, 2011

Surprise Results!

On Wednesday the 11th, I actually went to work.  My friend and colleague, Anna, thought this was a little crazy, but what else was I going to do?  I only work two days per week and was getting pretty far behind.  I’m a counselor, so I don’t talk about work.  I can’t.  I will say that it actually did me a world of good to spend the day entirely focused on others. 
Late in the day, the nurse called with the initial CVS results.  These results, called FISH, are generally 99% accurate and are followed several weeks later, by final, cultured cell findings.  I had to ask her to repeat what she was saying, because her words sounded like,  “The FISH results were normal.”  NORMAL!  No chromosomal abnormalities!  Before I started dancing, she brought me down to earth, telling me that this did not mean our baby was healthy.  It just meant the Dr’s original hypothesis about the cause of the problems was likely wrong.  She said the Dr. was advising we see a genetics counselor in the next 24-48 hours to help us decide whether to send our still usable CVS sample for genetic testing.  Within an hour, we had an appointment for Thursday afternoon.  What a whirlwind! 

No comments:

Post a Comment