It doesn't make sense that this, of all seasons of my life, would be the one in which I am knowing the greateast joy, but it's true. And I want to share it. So I'm starting this blog to let you in on what I'm learning: There is real peace to be found in the greatest of trials, and real hope despite seemingly insurmountable obstacles. It is possible to love and to live more deeply than you have before, and to experience joy in the unlikeliest of times - when it seems, like wildflowers peeking up from January snow - completely out of season.

-Elizabeth

















Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Where Everybody Knows Your Name

Today, I went to my OB appointment alone, but I have never felt less alone going somewhere by myself.  I am so blessed by all the people in Dr. Faro’s office.  I feel genuinely valued and cared for every time I’m there.  The sweet nurse, Gabi, came in the room as I was about to leave several weeks ago, looked me in the eyes, and said, I want you to know I really care about you.”  Then, the next week, the ultrasonographer told me she thinks about our family often when she’s not at work.  Dr. Faro herself has gone above and beyond on more occasions than I can count.  The day before our CVS, she called to make sure I had her personal cell phone number in case I should have questions or feel anxious during the night.  These people more than know my name;  they know my heart and are willing to walk along beside me whether it is grieving or rejoicing. Today, it was doing a little of both.
The cystic hygroma had not shrunk anymore as of today, but it hadn’t grown either.  Dr. Faro spent a long time explaining the new concern I mentioned last week, the membranous insertion.  It is not something that is resolvable or fixable.  It will be there for the duration of the pregnancy.  It means that the cord is abnormally attached to the placenta.  For now, this is not a problem.  It can cause growth problems in the baby later in the pregnancy, and it necessitates a planned C-Section.  Mine will be no later than 38 weeks, which is November 11, my and Mario’s anniversary.  I’m so, so thankful we found this problem, because babies who have undetected insertions almost all bleed to death either when the mommy’s water breaks, or as they are being born. 
Right now, my prayer request is that we don’t need to add any more prayer requests for this baby to our list.  I’m having a hard time keeping up with all of them, so I can’t imagine how our friends and family are feeling. 
Speaking of friends, mine are such treasures.  My friend Katie came over for lunch and I went to her house for a yummy dinner.  Our sitter, Sheryl, kept Avery on short notice while I went to the Dr., and Kelly has offered to watch Avery more times than I can count.  I know too, that so many are faithfully praying.  I can actually feel that we are being lifted up. 
Thank you for walking through this with us.  I’m honored to be able to share it with you.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to hear that it has not grown, but sad to hear that it has not shrunken any. I will continue to pray for your family. :) Looks like you are getting the hang of blogging! I have contacted my friend and I am waiting to hear back from her so she can do your "blog makeover".

    ReplyDelete