It doesn't make sense that this, of all seasons of my life, would be the one in which I am knowing the greateast joy, but it's true. And I want to share it. So I'm starting this blog to let you in on what I'm learning: There is real peace to be found in the greatest of trials, and real hope despite seemingly insurmountable obstacles. It is possible to love and to live more deeply than you have before, and to experience joy in the unlikeliest of times - when it seems, like wildflowers peeking up from January snow - completely out of season.

-Elizabeth

















Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Favorite Sounds

There are sounds that I think could listen to endlessly. One of them is my baby’s heartbeat on the Doppler. That steady thumping has, at times, brought with it such a wave of relief that I’ve wept. Avery’s laughter is another noise that always stirs my heart. Sometimes I hear her giggling in the backseat of the car and have no idea what’s funny, but find myself genuinely laughing with her. If the absence of sound can be counted as a favorite sound, then I would rank snow pretty high on my list, especially early morning snow. How can something so beautiful and pure appear with so little acoustic fanfare? Unfortunately, we don’t get much snow in Houston, and lately, we’ve been longing for ANY kind of precipitation. We have been enduring an extreme drought and record high temperatures for over a month, so rumbles of thunder and the tip-tapping of raindrops at the windows this morning were like a beautiful and vaguely familiar symphony.


I’m thankful for the rain this morning, thankful that our little baby has a heartbeat, and thankful that Avery is happy and healthy. I’m struggling to feel thankful for our housing situation. As of today, we have been negotiating a house contract of some sort every day for TEN DAYS! We thought everything was ready to go, and then we had the inspection on the new house Monday. There was a major, deal-breaking, expensive problem, and we are still trying to work out an agreement with the sellers that meets everyone’s needs. We have to close on our current home on July 22, and if the contract on this new house doesn’t work out, we will be pretty pressed to get a loan on a different new house processed and ready for closing by that time.  Potentially, we could end up moving out of our house and without a new one for some period of time. I’m pretty confident God will provide something, but I am tired, and wanting some resolution to this situation. Did I mention my issues with control and not knowing about the future? Clearly, God is still working on me in this area.

When you’re thanking God for the rain the rest of this week, and when you’re praying for baby Arredondo, as I know you have been, could you please lift up the house negotiations too? I know it’s going to be good, but I’m a little bit anxious waiting to see what God is going to do with this situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment